I never used to be a fan of mayonnaise. I had only experienced it whilst eating out, usually being served it in a large quantity, smothering the meal. I don’t recall the taste ever being that great, perhaps the ones I had were commercially made mayonnaises. Then I tried making my own, using organic, free range eggs, good quality local extra virgin olive oil, and my favourite whole grain mustard…..I was immediately converted! Now I make it regularly, and find it beautifully balances grilled white fish, wild-caught salmon, salads, ham, eggs and olives.
Recipe: Organic lemon mayonnaise
1 organic, free range egg yolk (at room temperature)
1/2 tsp organic whole grain mustard
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. After you have separated your egg yolk from the white, place it in a bowl. Add the mustard and the salt, and whisk with a fork until well combined.
2. Pour in a few drops of the oil, and whisk well with the fork using a rhythmic stirring motion, until the oil is emulsified/completely combined into the egg yolk mixture.
3. Keep adding in small amounts of the oil at a time, then whisking after each small addition, until you have added all the oil. You should have a beautiful creamy yellow mixture.
4. Add in the lemon juice, and again whisk with the fork until mixed through.
5. Add to a meal of your choice and savour your lovely creation……
Note: this recipe only makes a small quantity since it is best eaten fresh, as it contains raw egg yolk. Use within 7 days.