I get up early. To surf. In summer, getting up well before sunrise here is very early, some may consider it the middle of the night…..but it enables you to catch some rare quiet moments in the water around the time the sun is coming up. So you can see my lemon, ginger and apple cider vinegar tea that I have every morning after getting up by the light of my Himalayan salt lamp in the darkness of the early hours. This recipe is a morph of the Ayurvedic honey, ginger and lemon tea recommended in this tradition after getting up in the morning to assist in promoting digestion. I tried adding apple cider vinegar for an experiment, and enjoyed it so much that now I don’t enjoy my brew without it! It is beautiful with organic raw honey. Stevia can also be used to sweeten it if you are avoiding all sweeteners. Choosing a good quality apple cider vinegar will make a difference to the taste of your brew, I use the well-known Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar, which has a lovely depth of flavour. I find this tea warming, gently stimulating for the digestion and body – a lovely and refreshing start to the day – I hope you do too.
Approximately 1/4 – 1/2 tsp freshly grated organic ginger, or to taste
Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 small-medium lemon 3 capfuls of apple cider vinegar (I use the Bragg’s apple cider vinegar bottle cap)
1 tsp organic raw honey or liquid stevia (I use four drops of Nirvana liquid stevia) – adjust quantity to your taste
1. Grate your ginger into a small ceramic cup. (Treat yourself to a beautiful cup with a fine rim – there are some beautiful Japanese ceramic tea cups available.)
2. Pour in your freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3. Add in boiling water, to a volume of approximately 140mL.
4. Add in your 3 capfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar.
5. Add in your liquid stevia or a little organic raw honey. Stir, and check the taste, adding more sweetener as necessary.
6. Enjoy and have a wonderful day!