With the cooler weather comes a strong desire for warming, deeply nourishing foods. This light and easily digestible warm drink is perfect for providing some deep nourishment before bed, along with being lovely at any time of the day. The vibrant colour comes from the addition of turmeric, and illustrates the goodness this ingredient brings. Turmeric has been shown to have potent ant-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and may help reduce your risk of diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s Disease and arthritis (1). Sweetness comes from the addition of banana in this recipe, however it is also beautiful to use a teaspoon of raw honey instead of the banana, added at the end. The cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg add natural sweetness, warmth and assist digestion.
Recipe (Serves 1)
Almond, coconut and macadamia nut milk, 200mL (you can also use other types of milk if you prefer)
1/2 organic banana (you can use 1 tsp raw honey instead of the banana, added at the end)
1/2 tsp organic ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp organic ground turmeric (you can also use 1-2 tsp of finely grated fresh turmeric)
1/2 tsp organic ground ginger (you can also use 1/2 – 1 tsp of finely grated fresh ginger)
1. Place the almond, coconut and macadamia nut milk in a saucepan, and heat gently.
2. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric and ginger, and continue to heat gently until steaming.
3. Slice the banana into a blender.
4. Add in the steaming milk, and blend on high for a minute or so.
5. Pour into a well loved mug, add a dash of boiling water if you want more liquid, slowly sip and be nourished.
Singletary, K. (2010) ‘Turmeric – An Overview of Potential Health Benefits’, Nutrition Today, Vol 45(5), pp. 216-225.